Monday, January 30, 2012

Sometimes I feel bad for drawing a paycheck.


















Today was one of those days when I truly enjoy my job. Not every day is like this; sometimes I need to deliver truly regrettable vehicles, and other times I don't get to drive at all. Today, though, was a good day.

Today I was asked to deliver a 2007 Jaguar XJ over 20 miles to a customer. Now, on a bad day at work, this length of delivery would entail a hateful vehicle such as a Prius or Grand Caravan that smells of body odor and pet dander. But on this very special day, I was asked to cruise in an automobile that was luxurious, fuel efficient, powerful and a thing of beauty.

One of the first things that I love about the 2007 Jaguar XJ is the interior. Most cars are available with leather seats, so when a leather interior is mentioned, it doesn't exactly conjure the image of opulent luxury that this Jaguar exudes. No, the Jaguar's cabin reclaims the majesty of leather. The dash, center console, door panels and of course seats are covered in cow hide of the highest quality. That which isn't covered in leather is wood or metal. Essentially, everything the driver touches has a feel of refinement. This car, then, is a joy from the moment one sinks into the supportive and comfortable seats.

Insert the key in the ignition and turn clockwise to experience my second favorite aspect of this vehicle: the silky smooth 4.2 liter DOHC V8. Yes, at only 300 horse power, it won't win street races against modern Dodge Chargers or Pontiac G8 GTs, but the power is sufficient enough to deliver 60 mph in only 6.2 seconds. For comparison, that's roughly the same amount of time that the 450 horse 1970 Chevelle SS needed to hit 60. The main difference lies in the way that power is delivered by the Jag's V8 versus the Chevelle's 454; never harsh or abrupt, and all while delivering over 20 mpg.

Once on the road, the transmission selects gears well and allows the driver to either relax and enjoy the scenery or reenact his favorite parts of the chase from Bullitt. The steering is slightly numb, but never light and always direct. I'd prefer more feedback when sawing at the wheel, but I can see how the average buyer will never voice concern over this flaw.

After 20 miles of freeway driving, I delivered the Jaguar to its owner and handed the keys over with a wisp of regret. I need to work harder and buy one.

Grade: A




No comments:

Post a Comment