Monday, July 11, 2011

Hornet Vs. Coyote




Here in the greater Pacific Northwest, we have some clever ways to destroy once reliable modes of transportation. If your 4 cylinder econobox is running on fewer cylinders than before, if the transmission reminds you of a slip 'n' slide, or if you can't find a better way to spend a Friday or Saturday night then one of your options is low cost racing.

Hornet racing is the most popular form around here, with racing every Saturday night and a huge collective of fellow racers. The down side is price tag: $30 per person per night in the pits (driver included), Nascar Membership at $90, and so on. The safety equipment cost is similar between the two series, so I won't count that against Hornets, but if I want to race every week in Hornet classes, I will shell out $120 between myself and three pit crew members each week on entry fees alone.

Coyote racing is a lesser known series, but the entrance fee is free for people watching. I'm digging up information regarding pit pass cost, but it looks to be low if not free. The down side involves the truncated time table as compared with Hornets, considering it runs 13 nights a year as opposed to 52. The safety equipment seems to be more stringent, mandating a fuller roll cage and racing seat, but I won't call that a negative.

I've been looking to start racing on the cheap, and I've found Hornets and Coyotes to be the two best options thus far. Given the above information, I'm leaning toward Coyotes, but this Friday I'll be able to ask the drivers themselves at an actual Coyote race at Evergreen Speedway. I'll report back on my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment