Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fast and Furious has done more harm than good.


When The Fast and the Furious (TFATF) first came to theaters, I must have watched it 20 times. I remember spending more money on movie tickets than on rent. The cars, the clothes and the cool were intoxicating. I loved that movie.

Then I learned that the movie was about as factually accurate regarding cars as Twilight is regarding vampires. If that green Eclipse from TFATF were an actual 10 second car, then it wouldn't be a front wheel drive with a 420A (low horse 4 cylinder). It would have been an all wheel drive with a turbocharged 4G63T. And there's more.

Remember when the green Eclipse starts burning after Johnny Tran and his cohorts shoot it? Paul Walker turns to Vin Diesel, shouts, "NAWWSSS!!!" and the car explodes. Well, it turns out that Nitrous Oxide is not flammable. The car would be more explosive it were freshly waxed than if it were filled with Nitrous canisters.

There's plenty of little car geek factoids that TFATF producers didn't care to examine like the above examples, but now we, the car geeks of the world, have to listen to people like my new coworker who think that he can't drag race a manual transmission because he granny shifts and doesn't double clutch like he should. And he's convinced that 'NAWS' is the most fantastic substance on the planet.

Now I'm going downstairs to steal some DVD players so I can afford my overnight parts from Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment