Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I must be getting old.


2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i















2000 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro
















1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
















Of the cars I've owned over the years, most of the truly lovely ones were both turbocharged and all wheel drive. My 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD was largely stock and still a blast on the open road. The Audi is completely stock, even with an automatic, and has me cackling lately while carving the B-roads of North King County. Uncle Chris' 2002 Subaru WRX was one of the greatest all around performers that I've ever driven. And each of these cars shares the benefit of both forced induction and a transfer case.

But the 2011 Legacy, with it's natural aspiration, has proven to me without question that AWD on its own may be sufficient for motoring hijinks. The 6 speed manual transmission has well placed gears and a smart shifter with smooth and precise gear throws. The brakes are both responsive and forgiving. There's more than enough space inside for my bulbous self along with other grown humans. And to top it all off, the car can be miserly with petrol. Okay, on that last one I'll admit to my British automotive influences. Still, you'd have a hard time finding more car for even twice the asking price of under $20,000.

It seems that I'm now ranting about not needing V8 engines in Cadillacs or Turbochargers on 4 cylinders. How long until I start shaking my feeble fist at those damned kids listening to their loud rap music? Hopefully I don't forget to wear pants anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment