Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2010 Toyota Tundra


















Hi, my name is Matt, and I drove a Tundra.

Here is where you respond with, "Hi, Matt" and we discuss why I'll never drive another Tundra again.

The 2010 full size Toyota pickup known as the Tundra is terrible.

Let me back up.

can say nice things about this thing. I love the V8's power band. I love any Toyota truck's looks in white. Since those are the two things I like, I can now move forward to everything else.

The full size Tundra has a large interior swathed in inexpensive materials, which make sense in a truck that costs only $20,000. Being that this one was nearly $40,000 though, it was shocking. The seats are uncomfortable, the leg room constricting, and the plastics on the dash and door panels clearly share their origin with the blister packs your childhood GI Joe's came in. Ugh.

Then there's the brakes. Maybe the one I drove was the exception, and I'm willing to entertain that possibility. But not until my face peels off the windshield. Seriously, Toyota, brake pedals are not switches, they need more positions between off and locked up with all four tires smoking in the left lane of the freeway.

Luckily, I couldn't see the accidents I'd caused behind me. The visibility from the driver's seat is horrible. The hood, fenders and bed all slope away from view, and in a truck as big as a Tundra, you need to see corners for a point of reference when driving:

1. on the road
2. in a parking lot
3. off road
4. on planet earth

After driving a Tundra around for 45 minutes, I clambered out and handed the keys enthusiastically to the unfortunate owner. Then I climbed into a 2008 Ford F450 Crewcab Diesel Dually. All those letters and numbers add up to one very large vehicle, by the way. One big enough to tow 20,000 some odd pounds. Large enough to terrify Prius owners. I climbed into the rig and couldn't believe the difference. The interior was awesome (all controls and buttons were easily reached and made of fine materials), the controls smooth and controllable, and the corners visible. I drove the F450 back on the reverse route and was cleansed.

Toyota Tundra grade: F

No comments:

Post a Comment