Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2001 Toyota Tacoma: A Blast From The Past



One of the best vehicles I've ever owned was a 1983 Toyota 4X4 pickup. That little monster, in white with tan interior, furiously flung mud and rocks across half of King County without a single hiccup. The only weakness in the drive train popped up on the street, where it chewed up and spit out a head gasket in sadly inglorious two wheel drive.

I've loved other Toyota trucks since, but that first one really set the mold. That's why I was so excited to deliver a Tacoma today.

This 2001 Tacoma SR5 4X4 was a 4 cylinder 5 speed with white paint and a tan interior. Sure, it was an extended cab with bucket seats and A/C, but I could see past these improvements and if I squinted hard enough catch a glimmer of the tractor-like durability of my old sweetheart.

I loved this Tacoma. It wasn't fast, it didn't corner or stop worth a damn, and it sure isn't fuel efficient. But this truck is pure, simple fun. No, I didn't get a chance to engage 4 Lo or throw rooster tails of goo across the woods, but this little truck clearly conveyed its willingness to do so while stubbornly rumbling through the afternoon traffic of Bellevue.

Yes, a 2001 Tacoma is further removed from my 1983's simplistic perfection, but the compromise of comfort over minimalism is worth the trade. The bucket seats are light years beyond a 1983 era bench in comfort, the modern HVAC is far more effective than the 'asthmatic huffing through a straw' worthlessness of the old rig, and an available extended cab is a welcome improvement to leg room.

In short, I want one.

2001 Tacoma grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment