Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Half Million Mile Grand

My Mother owns a Grand Cherokee with over 500,000 miles on the odometer. According to Steve, those are likely on the original drive train. How astounding a concept, that as disposable as I and those around me have become with our expectations that some things as simple as what was a new car some 15 years ago could last 167 oil changes, 1700 some odd tanks of fuel, or what the average commuter puts on his or her vehicle in 48 years.

A guy in New York has a Volvo with over 2 million miles, and I've seen adverts with million mile Jettas or Toyota Pickups, but most of those cars are small, old, or at least boring. But Mom's Grand is four wheel drive, has decent leather interior, and a 4 liter inline 6 that runs so smooth that I've had to check the tach a few times to ensure the motor is still idling. It's fun.

Here's my thought, let's embrace old Cherokees and Grand Cherokees with 4 liter motors and start competing to see who can spin the highest number on the odometer. Let's collectively show Detroit that we don't want Libertys or Compasses. We want vehicles that put the Sport in SUV. And with cars like my Mother's Grand Cherokee as proof of concept, we can expect to have them even if Detroit hasn't delivered them in a decade or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment